Monday, May 14, 2012

Delusions of DIY: Gold Painted Geodes

I'm obsessed with all things gold at the moment and I've always liked geodes so of course I repinned this image on Pinterest:


And instantly thought of it when I came across this little cutie at a consignment shop today, it had me hooked with the lucite base:


Major improvement after removing the "Geode" sticker (thanks Captain Obvious) and the gross green felt from the bottom of the lucite base:




I used Goof Off in the little metal can to remove the adhesive:



I read the can AFTER I used it, when my fingers starting feeling weird, and apparently you shouldn't let come in contact with your skin.  The warning label reads "WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm."

Awesome.  I wasn't planning to use my reproductive parts but I'd still like to keep the intact.  I should really get some decent rubber gloves, and read labels first.

Then I used my new favorite to come in a can product on the outside of the geode after taping off the lucite base and face with painters tape:


The end result:


I'm not positive I love the gold paint now that it's done (and wishing the geode was a teal/turquoise color).

No comments:

Post a Comment